Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »The Debating Room » Creative Vs Cannon
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (6): « previous  1  [2]  3  4  next »  ... last »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Creative Vs Cannon
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Fairlight
Boardie

I am a Red Squadron.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-11-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I couldn't agree more, Meg. To me, reference to past well-known story elements improves a fic. What's even more fun is character reaction or thoughts about the element that were overlooked in the original show. I love it when an author does that for me. It gives an intimate look into the character. Sometimes doing that even lends a bit of closure to an event that was left unaddressed by the show. A perfect example is Springie's Puttin' on the Ritz. In the beginning, she takes us back to Joe's death and leads us along to how the team might have dealt--or not dealt--with it. The personalities are accurate even through the trauma of losing a member. I found all the reactions very believable. Kudos, Springie. (Love the *commercial*!) Lol2

No new posts 10-04-2008 12:27 Fairlight is offline Search for Posts by Fairlight Add Fairlight to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Wow., thanks Fairlight! You guys are making me feel so good! I'm so glad "Ritz" worked for you...I had fun with it!

Oh, and the "commercial" was a result of a very crazy, half asleep Swannie, who had an extra post to fill up... what a scary combination! Winknudge

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Springie on 10-04-2008 at 19:15.
No new posts 10-04-2008 19:14 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by meg
Yes, well said Fairlight. Even if a writer makes up his/her own story, the personalities are very important for me.

Another thing is the reference to the events/things we've seen in the film/episodes. It gives the plot and the characters more depth. Ebony, your fic "When lightening strikes" - which is jaw-dropping by the way Thumbsup - fx. you mention the Cressent Coral base that was destroyed. Ken "lecturing" Jun and Joe about bringing him to the new base even though they were suspicious of him being an impostor, etc.

Meg...thanks for the compliment... Blushing

No new posts 12-04-2008 05:04 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
meg meg is a Female
Boardie

I am a Swan.

Registration Date: 06-02-2008

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne
quote:
Originally posted by meg
Yes, well said Fairlight. Even if a writer makes up his/her own story, the personalities are very important for me.

Another thing is the reference to the events/things we've seen in the film/episodes. It gives the plot and the characters more depth. Ebony, your fic "When lightening strikes" - which is jaw-dropping by the way Thumbsup - fx. you mention the Cressent Coral base that was destroyed. Ken "lecturing" Jun and Joe about bringing him to the new base even though they were suspicious of him being an impostor, etc.

Meg...thanks for the compliment... Blushing

In Poland I would say, "It's not a compliment, it's true".
You've dane a great job Animerose

No new posts 15-04-2008 21:38 meg is offline Send an Email to meg Search for Posts by meg Add meg to your Buddy List
Rory Rory is a Female
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2008

spacer

Just thought I'd put my two cents in. Hope you don't mind. As a fanfic writer, when I use the term "canon", it means that I have put the fic_within_the setting of a particular series. So whenever I write a canon fic, I pay meticulous attention towards episodes that have a direct connection with the story I'm writing. A lot of canon fans are very anal about meticulousness towards adhering to the series storyline. It is for this reason that I strongly prefer to read fics wherein the writer is allowed to let his or her imagination go free.

Now, when it comes to characterization...let's put it this way. Every individual perceives a character in his or her own way. For example, to some people, they may find Joe too arrogant, brash and aggressive, and they would tend to focus on these personality traits more in their fics, instead of exploring the possibility that he may have another side to him. Personally, I would like to read more fics that would explore possible nuances in their character.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is I don't want to see a writer having his/her imagination inhibited by what canon afficionadoes say. If all fics were to strictly adhere to canon plots and characterization, creativity, imagination and variety would be lost.

No new posts 26-04-2008 22:20 Rory is offline Send an Email to Rory Homepage of Rory Search for Posts by Rory Add Rory to your Buddy List
Fairlight
Boardie

I am a Red Squadron.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Rory

Basically, what I'm trying to say is I don't want to see a writer having his/her imagination inhibited by what canon afficionadoes say. If all fics were to strictly adhere to canon plots and characterization, creativity, imagination and variety would be lost.

Very good point, Rory. It's like someone pointed out earlier in the thread, too canon can be boring. I agree. I really like it when an author gives me something that makes me go, "hmmm...," not, "huh!?!?"

No new posts 27-04-2008 01:13 Fairlight is offline Search for Posts by Fairlight Add Fairlight to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

Its interesting to see how some interprets a story... I find when I'm writing I have one picture in my mind of whats happening. But then I have read feedback and the interpretation is different.

They see something, that I thought was minor stand out and make an impact, or something about a characters personality that they see as new- I didn't realize I put in there. And I wrote the story...

I find that fascinating. It shows how different we can see a story when you turn loose your imagination.

No new posts 27-04-2008 08:15 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Rory Rory is a Female
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Its interesting to see how some interprets a story... I find when I'm writing I have one picture in my mind of whats happening. But then I have read feedback and the interpretation is different.

They see something, that I thought was minor stand out and make an impact, or something about a characters personality that they see as new- I didn't realize I put in there. And I wrote the story...

I find that fascinating. It shows how different we can see a story when you turn loose your imagination.

I agree with you on this one. Individual interpretation makes for variety and creativity. Sadly, previous forums I've been in -- especially the Highlander ones -- were so damned rabid (for lack of a better term) about canon. I was too happy to leave that fandom.

No new posts 27-04-2008 22:00 Rory is offline Send an Email to Rory Homepage of Rory Search for Posts by Rory Add Rory to your Buddy List
Rory Rory is a Female
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Fairlight
quote:
Originally posted by Rory

Very good point, Rory. It's like someone pointed out earlier in the thread, too canon can be boring. I agree. I really like it when an author gives me something that makes me go, "hmmm...," not, "huh!?!?"

True. I personally like writers who explore the "what ifs" and not dwell too much on "what it should be."

No new posts 27-04-2008 22:01 Rory is offline Send an Email to Rory Homepage of Rory Search for Posts by Rory Add Rory to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

Rory I love Highlander! But I have never been in the forums or read fanfic.

I would have thought it would have been the most open area for creative writers considering the time frames and scope in the series and movies.

I still love the original movie "Highlander" the most. But then I love Queen...

I did a small ficcie from the Song "Gimme the Prize" For Egobossler. I tend to write him as a toned down version of the Kurgan with...

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 27-04-2008 at 22:46.
No new posts 27-04-2008 22:44 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Rory Rory is a Female
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Rory I love Highlander! But I have never been in the forums or read fanfic.

I would have thought it would have been the most open area for creative writers considering the time frames and scope in the series and movies.

I still love the original movie "Highlander" the most. But then I love Queen...

Believe me, it's not! I was once a member of these Highlander slash forums and my stories practically got flamed. The only reason why people eventually started to like the fics is because one fanartist supported me all the way and made a lot of steamy fanarts for my Highlander fics.

No new posts 27-04-2008 22:47 Rory is offline Send an Email to Rory Homepage of Rory Search for Posts by Rory Add Rory to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

Well we don't like flamers in Gatch fic forums. Even if the story isn't in that readers style there is no need for it.

Everyone has to start from somewhere, and the more experience you get the better your stories become.

I have to admit I'm not into slash at all, but I don't tell people what they should write just to fit in with my tastes in stories.(As long as the stories have warnings, then theres no problem.) So write away...

Rory there are readers who will like your stories so don't let people in other fandoms turn you off writing.

No new posts 27-04-2008 23:00 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Rory Rory is a Female
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Rory there are readers who will like your stories so don't let people in other fandoms turn you off writing.

Do you want me to give you the honest to goodness truth? I almost quit writing fiction totally because of certain comments people have made about my fics -- both fan and original. The last was when someone criticized me for my sentence construction in what was supposed to be a professional writer's forum. Problem is I AM a magazine writer and editor by profession, so that criticism really hurt a lot and for close to a year, I did not write any fics at all. Eventually, I got around to showing that story to an editor who is my senior and it turned out that my sentence construction was right after all, and she was wrong. Needless to say, after seeing all those slash Gatch arts on the Net kind of got me inspired enough to try writing again but more meticulous. I am rather proud of my first Gatch fic. I never thought I'd put so much attention -- both in the writing and editing -- to a fic.

No new posts 27-04-2008 23:09 Rory is offline Send an Email to Rory Homepage of Rory Search for Posts by Rory Add Rory to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Huggles Rory! am glad that you did not quit! I have had negative comments on my fics as well, and also (what for me is the WORST) absolute and utter silence. But I keep writing for ME.

It doesn't hurt that I have a few 'fans' whom I know will read whatever I write, and give me honest feedback, so that helps a bit, but honestly, if *I* didn't enjoy the writing, then I wouldn't do it, KWIM?

Sounds to me like you are posting your stories in the wrong places. JMHO.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 28-04-2008 at 01:12.
No new posts 27-04-2008 23:14 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

Well from I see when I read a book, its the story that draws me in. If the reader only saw the grammar and sentence structure then it makes me wonder if they actually read the story itself.

In professional writing I don't see comments on sentence structure in a book review. I do see from critiques things like if the plot worked, were the characters dimensional and well developed. Did the story draw them in...

The rest can be fixed!!! And honestly sentence structure is the last thing I comment on, to me thats up to a beta reader or editor...

No new posts 27-04-2008 23:52 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Fairlight
Boardie

I am a Red Squadron.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
And honestly sentence structure is the last thing I comment on, to me thats up to a beta reader or editor...

You'd be surprised how anal some people can be. I read a lot of the comments/reviews at fanfic archives to find out if it's a story I'd be interested in. Bloody hell, those are the reasons I never got into writing fanfic. I was terrified of the comments I might receive when I posted that little Ryu's and Joe's journal entries on Gatchaman FanFic Archive. It's ultimately the reason I took them down. Not that I was flamed. Just the fear of it.

No new posts 28-04-2008 00:15 Fairlight is offline Search for Posts by Fairlight Add Fairlight to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

You posted fics?????

REALLY?

I don't think I've seen those, Fairlight! You should post again! I promise I'll comment, and no matter WHAT I think, I won't say anything bad. That's just NMS. Huggles

But I'm really curious, now!

(Just so you know, there are a number of people on that site who have feather shuriken up their collective a$$. It doesn't pay to do anything but ignore them. Wink )

No new posts 28-04-2008 00:36 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Fairlight
quote:
And honestly sentence structure is the last thing I comment on, to me thats up to a beta reader or editor...

You'd be surprised how anal some people can be. I read a lot of the comments/reviews at fanfic archives to find out if it's a story I'd be interested in. Bloody hell, those are the reasons I never got into writing fanfic. I was terrified of the comments I might receive when I posted that little Ryu's and Joe's journal entries on Gatchaman FanFic Archive. It's ultimately the reason I took them down. Not that I was flamed. Just the fear of it.

I remember those ... I think.
Please post them here, I would love to read them again.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by clouddancer on 28-04-2008 at 00:56.
No new posts 28-04-2008 00:53 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Fairlight
Boardie

I am a Red Squadron.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

You probably do, CD. TJ, they were very short and nondescript. Forgettable in other words. I can't repost them (sorry). They were casualties when my computer died!

No new posts 28-04-2008 00:59 Fairlight is offline Search for Posts by Fairlight Add Fairlight to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Could you rewrite them? I remember reading them and they were very good! I'm pretty sure I commented, too...didn't I? Stretch

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 28-04-2008 01:02 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
« previous  1  [2]  3  4  next »  ... last »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (6): « previous  1  [2]  3  4  next »  ... last » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: