Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Comics & Manga » Otoboke Section Chief
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Otoboke Section Chief
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Sosai X Sosai X is a Male
Master Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer
Otoboke Section Chief Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I picked up this older manga series at my local Japanese store. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed them (for a dollar per book - I couldn't go wrong). These were published by Hobunsha Comics and are from the mid 80s to early 90s. Here is the cover from the first manga collection (May 1983):

Here are a few of the strips. I picked ones that are understandable even if you don't speak the language.

Cheers,
Tim

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Sosai X on 24-10-2007 at 04:26.
No new posts 24-10-2007 04:26 Sosai X is offline Send an Email to Sosai X Homepage of Sosai X Search for Posts by Sosai X Add Sosai X to your Buddy List
amyltrer amyltrer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-12-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I'd probably enjoy them too Tim If I'd know Japanese! Erm3

No new posts 24-10-2007 04:43 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Those are cute, Tim! That poor guy doesn't have very much luck, does he? fishhit

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 24-10-2007 09:09 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Master Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Amy - I tried to pick strips that didn't require you to know what they were saying to find them funny.

Springie - You're right. He doesn't have great luck. Often his bad luck is off his own design (especially if he gets drinking).

BTW, the name Otoboke Kachou literally means "Pretending ignorance section chief". This manga was written and drawn by Masashi Ueda. It won an Excellence Award in 1999 from the Japanese Cartoonists' Association.

When I get time, I'll post more strips.

Cheers,
Tim

No new posts 24-10-2007 14:20 Sosai X is offline Send an Email to Sosai X Homepage of Sosai X Search for Posts by Sosai X Add Sosai X to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Sosai X
Amy - I tried to pick strips that didn't require you to know what they were saying to find them funny.

When I get time, I'll post more strips.

Yup, I kinda figured what they mean. They are to be watched from top to bottom as in Japanese reading, right?

The Japanese do have the sense of humor Animegiggle

No new posts 24-10-2007 18:44 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Those strips remind me so much of the Beano and Dandy comics I used to read when I was a kid. I had a ton that came from the UK, including a few annuals.

Oh my, that was 25 years ago... and I still remember them. I guess if I'm old, at least my mind isn't going.

No new posts 24-10-2007 19:21 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

aww I almost feel sorry for him.

We had some good comics over here TJ I used to read tons of them. Now i just have the botp ones

No new posts 02-11-2007 12:09 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Firebird
aww I almost feel sorry for him.

We had some good comics over here TJ I used to read tons of them. Now i just have the botp ones

ITA, you did. I'm not sure if I still have my old Dandys and Beanos.... I'll have to dig around...

No new posts 02-11-2007 13:28 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

Tim can you translate this for me please?

No new posts 02-11-2007 14:02 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Hey, what is with the white pom poms on Nambu's outfit???? Is he taking hints from his OAV counterpart? ROFL 2

No new posts 02-11-2007 14:13 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

I don't know! That's what I want to find out!

No new posts 02-11-2007 14:15 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

It looks like they are teasing about Ken not being able to drink in birdstyle...but I have no idea what is going on with Nambu and Ryu...Big Grin

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 02-11-2007 19:28 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Springie
It looks like they are teasing about Ken not being able to drink in birdstyle...but I have no idea what is going on with Nambu and Ryu...Big Grin

Maybe Ryu has the same problem! He's very sensitive about food you know! Copper

No new posts 02-11-2007 19:31 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

You'd think they would have invented the technology of STRAWS.... Wink

No new posts 02-11-2007 19:31 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

Ken should use a straw!

No new posts 02-11-2007 19:31 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Exactly!

No new posts 02-11-2007 19:33 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Master Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by amyltrer
Tim can you translate this for me please?

I'll show the picture to a friend and see what she says. Here's a quick read...

In Panel 2: the red word balloon says, 'Hai, Nambu.' [Yes, Nambu.] The green balloon points to Ken and says 'Dai majime' [literally 'Big Earnest', or 'Very Serious']

In Panel 4: the red word balloon says 'atsu' [hot] and the green word balloon points at Ken's visor and says 'kumotta' [which I'm assuming is a play on the word kumoru - to become cloudy, to fog up]. Notice you can't see Ken's eyes.

In panel 5 it looks like Ryu is wondering when his turn is next.

The kanji in the first panel and panel 5 are a bit blurry and hard to read. I'll run the picture by my friend but that won't be until Monday night.

Cheers,
Tim

No new posts 02-11-2007 21:25 Sosai X is offline Send an Email to Sosai X Homepage of Sosai X Search for Posts by Sosai X Add Sosai X to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Looks like you are doing well Tim.

How about trying these two as well?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by clouddancer on 02-11-2007 at 22:56.
No new posts 02-11-2007 22:54 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I'm scared to think about what's going on with all of those naked guys in the water! And RI too!
Eek2

The look on Ryu's face makes me wonder... Wink

No new posts 02-11-2007 23:34 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Yes that is the one that interests me.

And the expressions they all have. They almost tell a story on their own. I want to know if my story is anything near what the real story is.

No new posts 03-11-2007 00:03 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
[1]  2  3  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: