Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Godspeed, John Glenn
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Godspeed, John Glenn
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Godspeed, John Glenn Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

We lost a pioneer today: John Glenn, the first American to orbit the Earth, passed away.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/08/health/joh...dead/index.html

No new posts 08-12-2016 21:18 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
GrumpyGhostOwl GrumpyGhostOwl is a Female
Master Boardie

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-12-2016

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

He lived long, and prospered.

When the people of Perth, Western Australian learned that Friendship 7 would be passing overhead, there was a campaign to turn on as many lights as possible so that John Glenn would be able to see the city as a little bright dot on the planet below. (Remember the Earth wasn't as bright in those days and Australia in 1962 was even more sparsely populated than it is now - it's all the drop bears, y'see. Perth was tiny back then with an effective radius of about 10km.)

It was Perth's way of saying hello.

Famously, it appeared to work, as Glenn transmitted, "I can see the lights of Perth. God bless you all down there." For years afterward Perth acquired the nickname the "City of Lights" thanks to John Glenn's acknowledgement as he sped overhead.

Who knows if he actually saw the lights or not? But at least he knew that the people of the world's most remote capital city were thinking of him and giving him a friendly wave from the planet far below.

Goodbye, John Glenn. I'll leave a light on for you.

No new posts 08-12-2016 23:26 GrumpyGhostOwl is offline Send an Email to GrumpyGhostOwl Search for Posts by GrumpyGhostOwl Add GrumpyGhostOwl to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

When I was a teen one of my favourite movies was the "The right Stuff."

I read about Perth and the lights when passed over. I hope his spirit is soaring into the Stars forever a pioneer.

No new posts 08-12-2016 23:50 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

One of the heroes of my youth -- I didn't know the story about Perth, but it just adds to poignancy of his loss.

He boldly went where no man had gone before -- and I am forever grateful for the inspiration he provided. RIP John.

No new posts 09-12-2016 07:46 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

Man, I was out of town for 4 days people still can't stop dying!

No new posts 09-12-2016 23:24 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: