Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Comics & Manga » Anything new out?
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Anything new out?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer
Anything new out? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Are there any new comics out (oh we aren't suppose to use that term now are we)

I forgot the new term they want us to use I remember hearing it in a conversation about the new Batman film.

No new posts 25-06-2005 13:30 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Ronin
Exalted Member

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-09-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Graphic novel?

No new posts 25-06-2005 16:46 Ronin is offline Send an Email to Ronin Search for Posts by Ronin Add Ronin to your Buddy List
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 17-07-2001

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Graphic novel . hmm. And thats supposed to be the "grown up " version of the Comic eh?

I wonder if using a more sophisticated term will increase sales or affect its popularity?

And guess where Graphic novels are sold? ...

.. In a comic store of course!!

Big Grin

No new posts 26-06-2005 03:45 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer

And Chapters and Amazon and the library. But, yeah, in the comic store, too.

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 28-06-2005 14:13 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer

I think the difference lies within the length.

Comics are generally around 30-40 pages long and are usually colored. These are also often done by a group of people rather than one person alone.

Graphic novels are so-called because, in America, they developed from written novels that were then put into art-form. These are most often approximately 200 pages and are done by one person. Nowadays it varies as to whether or not they are colored. There are also novel-level illustrated books out such as Sandman, which was not moved from written to drawn format.

Manga is, in many stores, referred to as a graphic novel simply to have less terms to deal with. Generally, they are app. 200 pages long, black & white, and done by one person. Manga also is typically from Japan, though American publications are now calling themselves "manga" as well (Ai Princess, for example, is an American manga). That illustrated novels are being licensed from the China and Korea areas (manwha) make calling books of the above description "graphic novel" that much easier. So, a graphic novel = longer length by one person and a comic = shorter length, often by more than one person. I think Clamp is one of the few groups that works as a team for graphic novels (or manga), though many higher-name artists have a few helpers underneath them (who generally go unnamed, however and do tasks such as promotional drawings, cleaning, keeping the artist/writer sane, etc).

Ooooooh, Lordy. I have no life.

As for what's out? RG Veda 2 was just released (Clamp), Rurouni Kenshin's manga form is still being released (up to volume 16), as is Chrono Crusade (volume 5 - the anime is kick-ass as well). Immortal Rain is also a good one (imho). I have no idea as to American works being released.

No new posts 29-06-2005 21:32 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 17-07-2001

spacer

Eek2

Elvin you gorgeous wealth of Info!!

SmoochiesSmoochiesSmoochies

You couldnt have better have explained the diffs in comic/manga/grahic novel styles!! Big Grin

Now whats this about RG Veda 2 and is it in anime form yet??!!!!

No new posts 03-07-2005 03:58 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thank ye, thank ye.

Well, RG Veda was Clamp's first manga. It was released in the late 80s in Japan. During a real popularity swing for Clamp, an OAV was made for RG Veda. It's 2 episodes, both 45 minutes each. It really only serves to promote the manga, since it doesn't start at the beginning or go to the end. It just kind of highlights a couple of the battles. The OAV was released a looooong time ago in the states. The manga is just now being released, with the second volume having just been put on the shelves. Each novel is about 3 months apart, as far as release dates go.

No new posts 06-07-2005 01:36 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Demerson Demerson is a Male
Former Lurker

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-05-2005

spacer

There's really only two manga series that I actively follow, which are Berserk and Hellsing. I love everything about Berserk and Hellsing is just a total guilty pleasure for me.

No new posts 10-07-2005 01:00 Demerson is offline Send an Email to Demerson Search for Posts by Demerson Add Demerson to your Buddy List Add Demerson to your Contact List AIM Screenname: Wolfcult Command YIM Screenname: demersonofabitch
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. We must all have our guilty pleasures ( insert obligatory "within reason" comment here). I have wanted to pick up Berserk several times, but have never made it out of the store with it. I always reprimand myself because I'm keeping up with several manga series right now. Berserk has a loooooooot of volumes. (And I lied earlier...there's another Immortal Rain coming out...) What I need is an anime/manga benefactor. Yes, yes I do.

No new posts 10-07-2005 01:34 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Ashke Ashke is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-04-2004

spacer

*shrugs* Wasn't the 2 issue BOTP supposed to be out last month? Anybody know whats up?

No new posts 12-07-2005 02:43 Ashke is offline Send an Email to Ashke Search for Posts by Ashke Add Ashke to your Buddy List
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

spacer

It was cancelled due to lack of interest (i. e., stores weren't ordering it because most BotP issues ended up in the bargain bins).

No new posts 12-07-2005 02:51 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Ashke Ashke is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Well Dammit!!! I wanted those loose ends tied up! *MAJOR SULK*

No new posts 12-07-2005 03:45 Ashke is offline Send an Email to Ashke Search for Posts by Ashke Add Ashke to your Buddy List
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer

Somebody has asked over at the Top Cow board whether the script can be published online, which has apparently been done for other titles. So maybe it would be worth adding a request in there as it may be the only way the script will be seen.

Assuming the script actually got written, that is.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 12-07-2005 06:32 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Ashke Ashke is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Good idea, thanks Meridan!

*Aquiring new target - Topcow.com*

No new posts 18-07-2005 07:33 Ashke is offline Send an Email to Ashke Search for Posts by Ashke Add Ashke to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: