Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman Chat » Happy Birthday, Gatchaman!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Happy Birthday, Gatchaman!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
Happy Birthday, Gatchaman! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

At 6:00pm on October 1, 1972, the first episode of Gatchaman premiered on the Fuji TV network. That makes today Gatchaman's birthday! So, it's time to celebrate!

Viewers watching that evening were first introduced to the series by the opening credits to the show. In honor of that, let's take a look at how those credits were first conceived, through a series of storyboards that acted as the road map for what they wanted to achieve.

And if you want to remind yourself how it all turned out when animated, you can see that opening here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sxKcF4VE9s

So blow out the candles, have some cake, sit back, and enjoy the birthday!

James

No new posts 02-10-2016 01:08 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

It's fascinating to see the progression from the initial idea to the full realization. Thanks, James! (Though, to be honest, I'm more inclined at this time to grab some sake and drink a few birthday toasts!)

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ElectricWhite on 02-10-2016 at 02:01.
No new posts 02-10-2016 01:59 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
The Other Jason The Other Jason is a Male
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2010

spacer
RE: Happy Birthday, Gatchaman! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofan
Hi all!

At 6:00pm on October 1, 1972, the first episode of Gatchaman premiered on the Fuji TV network. That makes today Gatchaman's birthday! So, it's time to celebrate!

Viewers watching that evening were first introduced to the series by the opening credits to the show. In honor of that, let's take a look at how those credits were first conceived, through a series of storyboards that acted as the road map for what they wanted to achieve.

So blow out the candles, have some cake, sit back, and enjoy the birthday!

James

Hello James,

Happy birthday, indeed! I spent the day involved in various Battle and Gatchaman pursuits and just finished watching "Gatchaman Vs. Turtle King" for about the thousandth time. Not that I'm complaining, mind you! It's a well put together and exciting first episode.

Thanks for posting the storyboard set for the opening, I've always liked some of the extra flourish on the "ga" in the logo. I'm glad they didn't use that exact one, but keeping the bird head on the left would have been nice.

The Other Jason
www.battleoftheplanets.info

No new posts 02-10-2016 02:08 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Happy Birthday Gatchaman! I love seeing behind the scenes stuff like that, thanks James!

No new posts 02-10-2016 03:21 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Happy birthday, Gatchaman! Loved seeing the storyboard! Like Jason, I liked the bird head in the lettering!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 02-10-2016 04:39 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
adrianag adrianag is a Female
Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-07-2015

spacer

Hola James!

What a treasure! I also have storyboards but from other series and they are just amazing! It's like touching the creators thoughts at the moment of creating one of our most beloved series!

Happy Birthday Gatchaman!

Wow! It's funny, 44 years for Gatchaman and exactly 40 years for Candy Candy, this is indeed a time to celebrate!

Thanks for sharing Condor

No new posts 02-10-2016 05:52 adrianag is offline Send an Email to adrianag Search for Posts by adrianag Add adrianag to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Adrianag YIM Screenname: Adrianag MSN Screenname: Adrianag
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Those are great sketches. Thanks for sharing with us, James!

No new posts 03-10-2016 15:15 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

Sorry I'm a bit late for the party, but happy Birthday Smile

On an not unrelated topic, this came up on my Facebook newsfeed, and I thought it would be good to share......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI0l4mFkWxM

No new posts 03-10-2016 21:05 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: