Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Totally random thoughts...
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous  1  [2]  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Totally random thoughts...
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by KT1972
MsAnn, the video clip in this thread has been taken down, sadly, but the thread seems to confirm what you say.

http://www.gatchamania.net/thread.php?threadid=2278

Any idea which ep. this is?

No new posts 06-09-2016 07:58 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
msannomalley msannomalley is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 05-05-2014

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ElectricWhite
quote:
MsAnn, the video clip in this thread has been taken down, sadly, but the thread seems to confirm what you say.

I believe its episode 21. It's still on You Tube, on 0yulka0's channel and its in 3 parts, but it has Korean subtitles.

No new posts 06-09-2016 12:33 msannomalley is offline Send an Email to msannomalley Homepage of msannomalley Search for Posts by msannomalley Add msannomalley to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by msannomalley
quote:
quote:

I believe its episode 21. It's still on You Tube, on 0yulka0's channel and its in 3 parts, but it has Korean subtitles.

Thanks!

No new posts 06-09-2016 13:22 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
RE: Totally random thoughts... Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

There are actually a number of characters across the three series that know the identities of the Science Ninja Team, at least in some manner. You see, many of the people who "know" who they are have seen their faces or seen them in civilian clothes, but they don't necessarily know a lot of personal information about them, like their full names or where they live. So, I'll leave up to you to decide for yourself how well some of these qualify.

One that applies to all three series are the numerous unnamed I.S.O. scientists, technicians, and engineers who would have worked with, or at least seen, the Science Ninja Team in their civilian clothes in Crescent Coral Reef, G-Town, and Gatchaman Base. There are enough of these guys that I'm not going to try to list them individually.

Surprisingly, Director Anderson doesn't know their identities, and has no way to contact them without Dr. Nambu.

Ryu's father and Seiji do not know his identity. There's some confusion over this because of some rewriting of the Japanese disalogue in the Italian version of the Gatchaman II episode in which they appear that has them discover the truth. However, the original Japanese dialogue for that scene makes it clear that they don't know Ryu's secret.

Gatchaman:

Dr. Takahara (Episode #3)
Knows at least what Ken looks like. Ken introduced himself as "Ken, the Eagle" while in his civilian clothes, and Dr. Takahara knows that Ken, as Gatchaman, was responsible for "killing" the fake Captain Takahara -- at least from Makoto's point of view.

Naomi Nakahara (Episode #4)
As pointed out, Naomi knows their true identities, as well as where Jun and Jinpei live.

Prince Luka (Episode #19)
He knows what all of the Ninja Team look like, as he saw them in their civilian identities before the start of the race.

Chinchiro (Episode #64)
The youngest member of the Swims Gang is the only one to realize that the kid they saw might be Jinpei, the Swallow, though he wasn't fully certain about it.

Toda (Episode #72)
The entomologist might have figured out who Jinpei is, since the Ninja Team came to pick him up. It's hardly definite, though.

Girls from the Beauty Center contest (Episode #74)
The girls captured along with Jun during the contest would have seen her face, but likely know nothing else about her identity.

Rumi (Episode #79)
It is implied that Rumi recognizes Ken in his civilian clothes at the end of the episode, but it is never made clear if she might know anything more than what he looks like.

Gatchaman II:

Dr. Raphael
He knows Joe's identity, and has seen Ken without his helmet. He does die at the end of the series, though, so does he count as "still living?" How many episodes does a character have to survive with the knowledge for them to count?

Dr. Pandora
She knows their identities, but like Dr. Raphael, she also dies at the end of the series, so she may not count.

Milly (Episode #17)
A friend of Jun's. She knows that Jun is part of the Ninja Team, though it is possible that she has never seen Jun outside of her Bird Style.

Workers on the plane (Episode #26)
When the Ninja Team first meet Dr. Pandora on her airplane, there are technicians on board the plane as well. Joe, who is dressed as a truck driver, introduces himself as "Joe, the Condor," despite these strangers being around him. As it turns out, one of them is even a Gallactor spy!

Mako (Episode #28)
She knows Joe's identity from the time he spent with Hawk Getz.

Pete and Michi (Episode #31)
They rescue Ken when the Eagle Sharp crashes and they work with to hide him from Gallactor.

Kena (Episode #32)
She nurses the amnesiac Ken back to health, only to discover his real identity after he regains his memory.

Kids in the Amazon (Episode #34)
Jinpei, in civilian clothes, tells a bunch of kids who he really is, and then almost compounds the problem by telling them who the rest of the Ninja Team is.

Dr. Holling, Mark, and, well, pretty much every guest character in the story (Episode #36)
Ken wears a unique uniform in this episode that does nothing to disguise his face, and there are times when he is with people while not wearing that helmet, and everyone they encounter recognizes him as Gatchaman.

Sam (Episode #46)
Director Anderson's grandson sees Ken as he reveals his true self to Gel Sadra to convince her that Sam is not Gatchaman.

Sosai X (Epiode #49)
X provides Gel Sadra with a photo of Ken and Joe in their civilian clothes, so he knows what they look like. Why was he keeping this a secret from Gel Sadra and the rest of Gallactor?

Gatchaman Fighter:

Anna (Episode #21)
Joe's childhood friend didn't know his secret identity until he radioed the rest of the Ninja Team with her standing next to him.

Riska and her fellow resistance fighters (Episode #28)
Riska and her band of resistance fighters see Ken, Joe, Jinpei, and Ryu in their civilian identities as they help rescue them. This group then see the heroes transform into Bird Style.

Kidnapped Scientists (Episode #31)
Ken and Joe reveal their true faces to the scientists, as well as their Ninja Team identities, while rescuing them.

Dr. Beari and Lucy (Episode #33)
Ryu, in cold weather civilian clothes, reveals his Ninja Team identity to this father and daughter as he rescues them from Gallactor. Why he'll tell them and not his own family is a mystery.

Carmilla (Episode #38)
This young girl removes Jinpei's bracelet, causing his Bird Style to revert to his civilian clothes.

Spy SP-2 (Episode #41)
This Gallactor spy knows who Ken is in his civilian clothes. I guess she got a copy of X's photo...

I hope this helps!

James

No new posts 07-09-2016 04:28 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
I'll have to think about those, Springie. But I do have one BotP question that's gnawed at my brain now and then: in one ep. (I can't remember which one off the top of my head), 7-Zark-7 mentions a "grandfather" called 4-Zark-4. THAT CAN'T BE RIGHT!!! Zark's "dad" would be 6-Zark-6, and his "grandfather" would be 5-Zark-5! What gives? Is 5-Zark-5 the "Black Sheep" of the family? (That could be really frightening!) Or are 7-Zark-7 and the folks at Quantum Tobor Labs that bad at math?

I just assumed that Zark's father referred to 4-Zark-4 as "Grandfather," and 7-Zark-7 simply picked up on that and continued to call him "Grandfather," despite the inaccuracy.

quote:
Originally posted by Becky Rock
As for Joe telling an old childhood female friend who he is, might you be referring to Cathy, the blonde who impersonated Jun who turned out to also be a cyborg that Joe fell instantly in love with but she ended up sacrificing herself to save Joe on a mission they had been sent on?

As has been pointed out, Joe's childhood friend Anna, from Gatchaman Fighter #21, is a different character than the cyborg Cathy, from Gatchaman II #13. Also, the blond who impersonated Jun is a different character as well. That character is Eva, from Gatchaman II #20.

James

No new posts 07-09-2016 04:53 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer
RE: Totally random thoughts... Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofan
Sosai X (Epiode #49)
X provides Gel Sadra with a photo of Ken and Joe in their civilian clothes, so he knows what they look like. Why was he keeping this a secret from Gel Sadra and the rest of Gallactor?

In Eagle Riders, Cybercon tells Mallanox that their agents had recently discovered the secret identities of the Eagle and the Condor, so I thought it was the same in Gatch II when Sosai X gave the photo to Gel Sadra. (If I'm lucky, I know just enough Japanese to keep from strutting into the wrong public restroom, so it's a bit difficult for me to go to the source to find out on my own.)

No new posts 07-09-2016 05:59 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

James: I was looking at my screenshots from episode 36 and didn't notice a unique uniform. Do you have any screenshots to show what you mean? (I wonder if I have my screenshots mislabeled, wouldn't be the first time. Smile )

No new posts 07-09-2016 06:58 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Originally posted by ElectricWhiteIn Eagle Riders, Cybercon tells Mallanox that their agents had recently discovered the secret identities of the Eagle and the Condor, so I thought it was the same in Gatch II when Sosai X gave the photo to Gel Sadra. (If I'm lucky, I know just enough Japanese to keep from strutting into the wrong public restroom, so it's a bit difficult for me to go to the source to find out on my own.)

It's been a while since I watched that episode, but checking it out again, it does appear that X had uncovered their identities only recently. Of course, since X dies three episodes after this, he'd be with Raphael and Pandora in the "Do they qualify as 'still living?" category.

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
James: I was looking at my screenshots from episode 36 and didn't notice a unique uniform. Do you have any screenshots to show what you mean? (I wonder if I have my screenshots mislabeled, wouldn't be the first time. :) )

Here's a few shots of the outfit that I'm talking about :

Here's a couple that show some of the back of the uniform:

And the front and back of the helmet that does nothing to conceal his identity:

I hope this helps!

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 07-09-2016 at 18:02.
No new posts 07-09-2016 18:00 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

I actually don't like the looks of that uniform.

No new posts 08-09-2016 00:18 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Wow!! Bowdown 2 Thank you, James! That is some really helpful information!!! Interesting to see the inconsistencies when they reveal their identities... I originally thought Ryu finally told his brother and father who he was in either Gatch II or F. Also, I didn't remember seeing that outfit on Ken- I suppose they had a Gatcha space suit specially designed- but how strange that they can see his face!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 08-09-2016 02:54 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Isn't that closer to what he wore in that Korean rip-off show, the 5 Eagle Brothers or whatever? Man that helmet is weird. Smile

No new posts 08-09-2016 03:47 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

They did have Gatchaman space suits that were shown in the introduction to Gatchaman II, but for whatever reason they never used that footage in an episode. IIRC, only Ken and Joe have their space suits used in actual episodes.

No new posts 08-09-2016 13:00 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

That outfit that Ken is wearing in Gatchaman II #36 isn't a spacesuit. According to the model sheet for that outfit, it is Ken's Underground Exploration Team Uniform, which makes sense as he is wearing it while traveling with the Underground Exploration Team to an underground city.

However, as has been pointed out, Gatchaman II did introduce the Ninja Team's spacesuits. And, yes, despite there being several instances where the entire team should have been wearing spacesuits, only Ken and Joe ever wore theirs. Designs were done for all five, though, looking like this:

The entire team do appear in their spacesuits in a couple of shots in the opening credits to Gatchaman II, which you can see here, if you like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5jhtIEWg6w

As for Eagle 5 Brothers, that is the name that was given to the Korean dub of the original Gatchaman when it first aired there, and was also used when the series returned to Korean TV in the mid-1990s (Which, based on the merchandise released at that time, was probably a dub of Gatchaman II and Gatchaman Fighter, but I've never gotten that confirmed).

There was also at least one bootleg Gatchaman II-based Eagle 5 Brothers home video production, likely from the 1980s, which later made its way to Spain and was released as "Heroes del Espacio." This production appears to have been made illegally by the Korean studio that Tatsunoko used for some of their animation work during Gatchaman II, and mostly used the same model sheets that Tatsunoko provided to them for their work. As a result, the characters look the same as we are used to seeing them, with no major alterations (Pandora had some changes to her dress and there was an original character design for an unmasked male Gel Sadra, but that was about it for the modifications).

So, you're probably thinking of some other Korean production, but not Eagle 5 Brothers. Do you have a link to the one you're talking about?

James

No new posts 08-09-2016 18:42 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

spacer

Oh wow- he was underground, huh? The enclosed helmet and tanks on the back made me think "space". Interesting to see the designs for spacesuits were made for the entire team...I'm going back to look at those opening credits. Thanks!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 08-09-2016 19:31 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hmm, I don't know much about the Korean one, just what I saw people discussing on Facebook. I managed to go back and find the thread, so I'll share what was said and you can tell me what was actually correct. Smile First, some screenshots:

There's a wikia post here that explains some of the confusion:

Eagle 5 Brothers wikia post

That's pretty much it ...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ChrisW on 08-09-2016 at 21:25.
No new posts 08-09-2016 21:24 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

I'd wondered if that might be what you were thinking of. That film isn't "Eagle 5 Brothers," it's "Iron Man 007."

It was made in the 1970s, during a period when South Korea had banned Japanese imports, so they had no access to anime. At that time, the Korean animation studios created a number of their own animated movies which liberally borrowed elements from Japanese productions, put them in a blender, and hit 'puree.' "Iron Man 007" took concepts and story pieces from Gatchaman, the giant robot series Mazinger Z, and a sprinkling of the giant robot series Gaiking, and created their funky masterpiece.

If you want to watch it, you can find it on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xark3eJH2A

If Spanish is more to your liking, the film was released on home video in Mexico, and their dub of it can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l3HD_n27xs

I hope this helps!

James

No new posts 09-09-2016 20:35 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Ah ha! Thanks!

No new posts 10-09-2016 01:33 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofan
At that time, the Korean animation studios created a number of their own animated movies which liberally borrowed elements from Japanese productions, put them in a blender, and hit 'puree.'

I hope this helps!

James

Thanks, James! I just watched it and boy, you weren't kidding! LOL! That was interesting...

No new posts 10-09-2016 04:11 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

That is definitely shows put in a blender.

No new posts 19-09-2016 23:27 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
« previous  1  [2]  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): « previous  1  [2] 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: