Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman Chat » How Did You Initially Find Battle of the Planets?
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page How Did You Initially Find Battle of the Planets?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
How Did You Initially Find Battle of the Planets? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

So, how did you first watch, hear about, or otherwise encounter Battle of the Planets (Or Gatchaman, or G-Force, or Eagle Riders, or whatever was the first incarnation of this series you came across)? Let's hear your personal "origin story!"

James

No new posts 09-08-2016 02:09 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Mine isn't too exciting...I was just flipping through the channels and looking for something to watch one afternoon. I was a cartoon addict- loved "Tom and Jerry", "Bugs Bunny", "Scooby Doo", etc.
So when BOTP was on, I was captivated by the style and serious nature of the cartoon at first. Then, I almost got turned off because I thought it was a "boys' cartoon"...but then I saw Princess. So I thought, "At least this one has a girl in it...I'll watch a bit longer..."
and then...I got hooked!!! I loved the freaky mech designs, too...some of them were a bit scary, but they intrigued me. Wink

I believe the first episode I saw was the "Ghostly Grasshopper".

Hmmm.might be interesting to find pictures of ourselves when we were first watching BOTP- I believe I was around 7 years old.

Here's me at about the time I started watching BOTP:

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Springie on 09-08-2016 at 02:51.
No new posts 09-08-2016 02:41 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Wow I don't remember. I was probably flipping channels and intrigued and then quickly hooked. I know I had a crush on Mark and would rush home from the bus to catch the show every day. I was so sure there was a full story arc (not that I knew the term) and that there must have been an "End" episode! That's one reason I'd rush home as the episodes continued to loop. I was sure I kept missing it! Little did I know ... Smile

No new posts 10-08-2016 04:53 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

wow, great topic, James, thank you! Big Grin

I remember quite clearly my first time. We were living in a different town to the one we finally settled in and I'd been collected from school (I would have been around 6 or 7 at the time), The walk home passed a small playground, and i wanted to stop and play since it was a hot afternoon. My mum left me and went home, and after about half an hour thunder started to rumble... I raced home, but still ended up getting drenched.

Back home, I was stripped of my wet clothing, wrapped in a blanket, and sat in front of the tv to dry off and warm up. In the UK at the time, we only had 3 channels, and BBC1 was the only one showing anything remotely cartoony, so that was put on. Battle of the planets was the second program on.

I can't remember which episode it was, but at some time during the show, I must have squeeled or shouted because it brought my mum out from the kitchen to see what was going on. I just said "it's G-force" and went back to watching.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Here is a pic of me at that time with my younger cousin,

No new posts 10-08-2016 09:08 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
msannomalley msannomalley is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 05-05-2014

spacer

BoTP was on as part of the after school block of cartoons that aired on one of the local TV stations. I was around 8 or 9 years old (third grade) when it began. I think what caught my attention was that this superhero team had not only a girl in it, but a kid and a larger guy. I had a crush on Jason. Then there was these giant flowers that swallowed Princess and all these fantastically weird giant monsters. I remember thinking then that he was just way cooler, even though everyone else on the show said otherwise.

No new posts 10-08-2016 13:05 msannomalley is offline Send an Email to msannomalley Homepage of msannomalley Search for Posts by msannomalley Add msannomalley to your Buddy List
adrianag adrianag is a Female
Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-07-2015

spacer

Hola James,

Well, this is such an interesting topic that I will gladly share my memories with all of you!

During 1979-1980, there were two Tv stations in Mexico showing cartoons from around 2pm all the way to 7pm (after that we had only the adult programs).

Channel 5 was mainly showing American cartoons, like those from Hanna-Barbera and some Japanese animes. On the other hand, Channel 13 was focusing in Japanese anime (I guess this have to do with tv rights).

Among my favorite cartoons were Candy Candy, Princess Knight, Triton of the sea and of course, Battle of the planets. Unlike Spain, the series was not as successful as the others (Candy was and is still the most famous one). For that reason, all the episodes were played only once and later, disappeared from the regular programming.

I still remember most of the episodes and somewhere in my mind, those voices from Jason and Mark.....I liked Mark then. I even remember drawing him just after the show. Now my favorite is Jason, of course! Wink

I was 9 years old then and together with my brother we watched it everyday at 3pm. Nothing in the world would stop me from watching it and surprising, it became my favorite show number one (more than Candy!). We even saved our desserts and sweets to wait for the show and enjoyed them while watching the adventures of our favorite characters.

Later, together with our cousins, we will played the roles of the heroes. For some reason, I was Mark....maybe I just wanted to be the leader! ^_^

It's amazing to think that now, many many years later, I own some of the original cels and Japanese products from the series. If someone would had told me so then, I would had never believe it! Back then my only treasure were a couple of magazines produced in Spain and they were so expensive to get. So truly, they were a treasure for me and somewhere at home in Mexico they are still lingering among my staff there.

I really hope to be able to have a Candy Candy museum one day, and my idea is to include Gatchaman as well. That's the reason I'm collecting all those treasures!!!

Thanks for the memory....glad to share this with all of you!

Hugs
Adriana

Condor

Animejoy

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by adrianag on 10-08-2016 at 13:37.
No new posts 10-08-2016 13:35 adrianag is offline Send an Email to adrianag Search for Posts by adrianag Add adrianag to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Adrianag YIM Screenname: Adrianag MSN Screenname: Adrianag
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

Here's my story: I was almost 12 years old, Star Wars had come out a couple of years earlier and I had loved it, and in October 1980 we got BoTP in Greece. I was immediately hooked, and so were my friends in school. So we set up our own G-Force team (I went to an all-girls school
during primary school, so we could choose among all G-Force members-- I was Jason).

I only discovered Gatchaman, and fanfic, and the fandom, in 2003, when I was working in Sarajevo and, one day, found the old yahoo group. And found so many, many friends sharing the same passion!

No new posts 10-08-2016 18:46 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

You all make me feel old.

I was 14 when I found Battle in 1978. Like so many others I was trying to find something to watch Sunday morning and came across it. I loved it. I even used to record the episodes on cassette tapes and write them out (I still don't know what happened to those tapes or my written copies).

I found out about Gatchaman when I was reading a book about anime in 1988, but didn't really look into it until 2000. I was horrified that G-2 died at the end and ever so happy Battle hadn't translated those episodes.

No new posts 10-08-2016 22:40 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Yep, a similar story here. I was flipping channels as a kid watching TV after school and came across it. I enjoyed it enough that I remembered the time and channel and came back to watch every day!

No new posts 15-08-2016 18:37 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Mad Katharine Mad Katharine is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-04-2010

spacer

A friend of mine stuck her head in my classroom to announce that a new "Star Wars Cartoon" was starting the next day. Intrigued, I tuned in.

Edit: I guess she'd seen the ads for it--I had not. My mornings and after-school activities involved horse wrangling and other assorted chores. Naturally I figured out a way to squeeze BotP into the schedule. Thankfully my parents, who were scifi buffs themselves, were willing to indulge me. Big Grin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Mad Katharine on 15-08-2016 at 23:49.
No new posts 15-08-2016 23:45 Mad Katharine is offline Send an Email to Mad Katharine Search for Posts by Mad Katharine Add Mad Katharine to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

There was no random channel surfing here. The networks were showing soap operas in the afternoon (which Dad couldn't stand), and Mom wouldn't let me watch the GED programming on the PBS stations (yes, you read right, stations -- I had access to 2 of 'em!) -- I guess Mom was afraid I'd get to be smarter than my brother (way too late for that!). That left the one independent station in the region, which was into counter-programming. So, I got my fill of anime (Speed Racer, Ultraman, BotP), "classic" cartoons (Warner Bros., Hanna-Barbera, Fritz Lang), and The Three Stooges.

No new posts 16-08-2016 17:39 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
RIgirl RIgirl is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am a Red Squadron.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-04-2010

spacer

I remember it well -- I was 10 years old, 1978, summer was nearly over and Channel 5 was advertising a new cartoon for the afternoon line up in September. A little show called "Battle of the Planets" and my initial reaction was that they had totally copied "Speed Racer" and that it couldn't possibly be any better.

I sat down to watch the first episode (at 4 pm) and by the time we got to the first commercial break, I was totally and completely hooked. The rest, as they say, is history.

No new posts 16-08-2016 22:12 RIgirl is offline Send an Email to RIgirl Search for Posts by RIgirl Add RIgirl to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: