Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Anime & Cartoons » Voltron: Legendary Defender
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Voltron: Legendary Defender
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer
Voltron: Legendary Defender Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Has anyone here watched the new Voltron: Legendary Defender on Netflix? I really enjoy it and want someone to fangirl with. Tongue

No new posts 18-07-2016 02:21 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
mylari mylari is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-09-2014

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

You know I binge watched this the day it came out, but even though I liked it more or less, I can't really fangirl it. I've drawn a little for it, but I won't write there. I think they messed around with the original entirely too much and changed things just for the sake of making changes. I've tried to watch through it again and haven't been successful yet. I've done an off the cuff "review" of sorts right when it came out, but I need to find time to sit down and do a more in-depth review.

Find me on the web at Mylari's Anime Website

No new posts 18-07-2016 03:50 mylari is offline Send an Email to mylari Homepage of mylari Search for Posts by mylari Add mylari to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I know. Smile I don't think it's perfect either, but it's a fun distraction from other things. And I like that Keith and Lance have a bit of a Ken and Joe dynamic with their fighting, and Keith's little shack in the middle of nowhere reminds me of Ken's place, so it's got that going on, too. I'm also happy to discuss its flaws!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ChrisW on 18-07-2016 at 05:39.
No new posts 18-07-2016 05:39 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

I don't do Netflix, but I loved the original and collected comics versions of it over the years - which got mailed with hundreds of other comics and books to soldiers overseas. I was shocked when the group I do that with corresponded with the troops and they requested comic books. I had to remind myself most are between 18-25 and comic books are easy to transport.

I didn't like the remakes with the vehicles that combined.

No new posts 18-07-2016 18:51 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

This is the Lion one redone. You could always do something like a Netflix free trial. It's 13 episodes.

No new posts 18-07-2016 18:56 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

I'd have to think abut it, although I know the new Star Trek series is going to be on it.

No new posts 18-07-2016 20:16 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

The nice thing about Netflix is that they put up a whole season (13 episodes) at a time when they do a show, so you can binge watch it immediately. Smile

No new posts 19-07-2016 05:06 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
The Other Jason The Other Jason is a Male
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2010

spacer
RE: Voltron: Legendary Defender Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi CW,

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Has anyone here watched the new Voltron: Legendary Defender on Netflix? I really enjoy it and want someone to fangirl with. Tongue

Well.... I don't know if I can "fangirl" with you or not, but a friend and I watched through the entire run last month. I've always enjoyed the original Voltron, especially when I figured out a lot of the Battle of the Planets crew put it together. I liked both the "vehicle" and "lion" versions and I kind of wish the vehicle version would get some attention too in all the remakes.

But we've gotten a number of remake attempts, none of which I liked very much or felt had the right feelings behind them. Until the Legendary Defender series, that is. I went in pretty skeptical (an unfortunate habit these days), figuring it was going to be another in a line of disappointing remakes. But I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would.

Some of the major changes were a little odd, some telegraphed waaaay to much, but for the most part I thought they worked well and didn't distract from the main story. I won't get in to much of that in case anyone reading this hasn't watched it yet. But overall, it was fun, well-acted and enjoyable. By the end I was looking forward to the next season.

Here are two non-spoiler things I can mention though... One I really didn't like and one I did. The main thing in the pilot episode that turned me off was the reliance on bodily function humor for Hunk's character. I'm SO glad they got away from that in subsequent episodes because it really would have tainted my enjoyment had it kept coming up. Enough already.

On the other hand, I did like the fact that Rhys Darby was cast as Coran. I've been a fan of his for a while and hadn't heard he was part of the show. When I first heard his voice I thought... "No, it can't be." But it was! So hooray, one of my favorite newer comedians doing a voice that took me by complete surprise.

In the end, I'm looking forward to the next season. It's not the best show I've ever seen, but it's certainly hit the mark a lot better than the vast majority of remakes and reboots out there. Certainly my second favorite Voltron series. This show seems to have been done by people who like what they're doing, without a merchandising agenda hanging over their heads. About time for something like this too. Let the show stand on its own, then do the merchandising.

The Other Jason
www.battleoftheplanets.info

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by The Other Jason on 19-09-2016 at 22:32.
No new posts 19-09-2016 22:30 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: