Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »The Book Nook » Have you hear of Jasper Fforde?
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Have you hear of Jasper Fforde?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer
Have you heard of Jasper Fforde? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Most importantly, has he heard about us?

Jasper Fforde is the author of a series of alternate reality/fantasy/choke-full of quirkiness books starring literary detective Thursday Next, and the Last Dragonslayer books. The Thursday Next books, by the way, are absolutely brilliant.

Now, what's interesting is that one of his characters is called Emperor Zhark. Still, as all the characters like Zhark are based on existing books, maybe there was indeed a sci-fi series with an "Emperor Zhark", I don't know.

But how do you explain the fact that the most recent book in the Last Dragonslayer series is called "The eye of Zoltar"?

Mr. Fforde, are you lurking around the Gatch fandom?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Daniella T on 03-05-2014 at 12:53.
No new posts 03-05-2014 12:52 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hmm....interesting...

I'd heard of him, but never looked at his work. But what you say, DT, does make me curious.

No new posts 03-05-2014 13:56 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

That is quite a coincidence! Winknudge

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 03-05-2014 15:49 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

That is suspicious!! Hmm!!

No new posts 03-05-2014 20:10 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

I've never heard of him, but that has to be more than a coincidence.

No new posts 03-05-2014 20:43 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Maybe he's channeling Sandy Frank for naming ideas...

No new posts 04-05-2014 14:15 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
RE: Have you heard of Jasper Fforde? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Daniella T
Most importantly, has he heard about us?

Jasper Fforde is the author of a series of alternate reality/fantasy/choke-full of quirkiness books starring literary detective Thursday Next, and the Last Dragonslayer books. The Thursday Next books, by the way, are absolutely brilliant.

Now, what's interesting is that one of his characters is called Emperor Zhark. Still, as all the characters like Zhark are based on existing books, maybe there was indeed a sci-fi series with an "Emperor Zhark", I don't know.

But how do you explain the fact that the most recent book in the Last Dragonslayer series is called "The eye of Zoltar"?

Great catch!

I concur that his Thursday Next books are brilliant (at least through "Something Rotten" -I think they get a little weaker after that) and also his Nursery Crime series, and "Shades of Grey" (wish he'd write a sequel already!).

I haven't read his Dragonslayer books though... I agree, it might well not be a coincidence about the use of "Zhark" and "Zoltar." It seems that he did invent the character (and books featuring him) of Emperor Zhark himself...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_books

No new posts 04-05-2014 16:40 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

LB, I haven't read the Dragonslayer either, I'm working my way through the Next series, which I discovered only recently. So would you recommend the Nursery Crimes? "Shades of gray" I've bought already Smile

BTW, the list of fictional books is a great find!

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Daniella T on 04-05-2014 at 19:22.
No new posts 04-05-2014 19:19 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Yes, I highly recommend the Nursery Crimes books, and Shades of Grey. I've both read them and listened to the audiobook versions.

I think Fforde is a master plotter -the way he can lay out multiple intricate plot threads and then bring them all together, seamlessly, at the end impresses the hell out of me (I think "Something Rotten" in his Thursday Next series is one of the best I've ever seen for that).

And I get big kick out of his sense of humor and all the literary in-jokes (though I'm sure there are plenty in the Thursday Next series that go right over my head -I haven't read all the Brit-Lit by any means).

Shades of Grey blew me away over the sheer imagination of the bizarre -and funny!- dystopia that he creates there.

I think his weakness, though, is getting too wrapped up in world-building, and in-jokes, at the expense of good plot -the problem with the Thursday Next books that come after Something Rotten, I think.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 31-05-2014 at 20:39.
No new posts 31-05-2014 20:38 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
E.D. Darling E.D. Darling is a Female
Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2014

spacer

I loved shades of grey! I'll have to check out the rest of his work!

No new posts 01-06-2014 23:34 E.D. Darling is offline Send an Email to E.D. Darling Search for Posts by E.D. Darling Add E.D. Darling to your Buddy List
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

The Thursday Next series made me want to read Jane Eyre and the other classics. I had read it when I was around eight or nine, but don't remember it. Not to mention Wuthering Heights...

Or maybe watch the movie Roll

No new posts 02-06-2014 20:59 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Katblu42 Katblu42 is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 19-10-2016

spacer

Sorry for jumping in on this years after the fact, but I really love Jasper Fforde's first Nursery Crimes book ("The Big Over Easy"). I would highly recommend this book to anyone still wondering whether to try reading any of his work. There were a few things in the second one I wasn't sure I understood 100%, but I still enjoyed it.

I haven't seen any of his Dragonslayer series in bookshops here, but might have to give them a go.

I liked a lot of the concepts in the Thursday Next series, but only read the first one because I felt too many of the literary references were going over my head - too much stuff I have not read.

When I get through the stack of books I have bought and not read I do plan to get hold of "Shades of Grey" - it sounds intriguing.

No new posts 10-03-2017 09:49 Katblu42 is offline Send an Email to Katblu42 Search for Posts by Katblu42 Add Katblu42 to your Buddy List
GrumpyGhostOwl GrumpyGhostOwl is a Female
Master Boardie

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-12-2016

spacer

When Katblu42 mentioned Jasper Fforde after beta-reading a story for me I purchased the first three books in the Thursday Next collection (they were bundled together for Kindle) and quite enjoyed them. Fforde isn't the grandmasterclass humourist that Sir Terry Pratchett was but I did enjoy those first three books and I did get most of the literary references. The little interlude with the Painted Jaguar had me chuckling and revisiting the Just So Stories.

No new posts 10-03-2017 11:46 GrumpyGhostOwl is offline Send an Email to GrumpyGhostOwl Search for Posts by GrumpyGhostOwl Add GrumpyGhostOwl to your Buddy List
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

GGO, I thought of Jasper Fforde when I read the title of your thread "One of our adjectives is missing" Smile.

No new posts 10-03-2017 15:08 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

Absolutely he is!! Other than that he was a fan as a kid and its his AU!

Wink

No new posts 11-03-2017 11:25 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: