Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman » ANOTHER unaired G-Force pilot ep?
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page ANOTHER unaired G-Force pilot ep?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Dirk Daring

spacer
ANOTHER unaired G-Force pilot ep? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Greetings ya'll, it's been a while! Glad to see some activity in the wake of Gatch's 40 anniversary. I've been "celebrating" the occasion by continuing the epic project I've been embarking on since August: digitizing my VHS collection of G-Force episodes (all 6 of them, containing most of the 85 episodes) to PC via a nifty DVD recorder I scored not too long ago! Not only will I be fulfilling a long-time goal (I bought these tapes well over four years ago), but it'll be a victory for the handful of fans of Gatch's red-headed stepchild. Big Grin

That notwithstanding, I just made an interesting discovery on a random Google search. As you may (or may not remember), "G-Force" had two sets of pilot episodes (one unaired, the other aired, both based off of Gatch Episodes 18 and 87) that featured noticeably different music that was not retained for the rest of the show's episodes. They were put together as demonstration pilots by Fred Ladd's "Sparklin' Entertainment", whom Turner Program Services contracted and eventually put on to the project in 1986.

Around the same time period (mid-to-late 1986), it appears that Turner contracted another production company, media360group, to put together a test pilot for "G-Force". media360group faced more restrictions producing their pilot however, as they were allowed no access to scripts, translated or otherwise. They did whip up new music and sfx which sounds well.....totally' 80's. Here is a snippet of their pilot episode, which predominantly features Ryu The Horned Owl not as "Hoot Owl" or "Hootie"....but "Quintin":

http://youtu.be/OA9M2r9UCeU

Comments? I've contacted the company with an inquiry regarding their work on "G-Force", and am patiently awaiting their response!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Dirk Daring on 08-10-2012 at 05:44.
No new posts 08-10-2012 05:41
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Not just Ryu being called Quentin, but Nambu is Professor Nicholas too... wonder what the others were called!

Great find, thank you for posting.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by KT1972 on 08-10-2012 at 07:43.
No new posts 08-10-2012 07:42 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
littlewolf littlewolf is a Female
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2010

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Thanks for posting
very interesting, not sure about the voices though...

No new posts 08-10-2012 10:39 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Wow, that's freaky! Great find, Dirk! Thanks for sharing!

No new posts 08-10-2012 16:06 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

Thanks for sharing, Dirk! Surprises never end!

No new posts 08-10-2012 16:15 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

I can't help wondering what it would have been like if Turner had used this group instead... (put the pokey sticks away! If I can come up with anything, it's gonna have to simmer a while.)

I do agree with LW, though. They probably should have gone with different voices.

Anyway, thanks a lot for this find! thumbsup2

No new posts 08-10-2012 17:45 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Dirk Daring

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Some more info from media360group:

The G-Force pilot was created in 1985 under contract with Turner Program Services ["TPS"], the program development division of TBS. At that time, Lee Turner was the contracting officer for TPS. Lee, no relation to Ted, has since retired. Prudence Eddy was Turner's Exec. Producer for the project.

Bill Anderson and Steve Bell, Co-Founders and Senior Partners of our firm, were the primary creators. (At that time, the firm was known as AVS.) Bill led concept development, wrote most of the script and directed the voice talent. Steve contributed to the script, scored and performed the entire original music track (with Bill contributing guitar tracks) and co-produced the voice recording sessions with Bill.

Audio was recorded @ JBS Studios, Avondale, Ga. Brad Jones served as chief audio engineer. Final layback and video conform was completed at Crawford Post Production, Atlanta.

Primary Cast included:

Don Spalding - Lucas
Doug Paul - Quintin, Commander Tiros, Narrator
John Ferguson - David, Commander Zol, Timmy
Barry Stoltze - Jason, Professor Nicholas, Newsman
Faith Salie - Rachel

Although Turner was elated with the pilot, a mutually acceptable series production contract proved to be elusive. Apparently, Turner revisited the G-Force property in the mid-90s, but without the involvement of our firm.

media360group's pilot was based off of Gatch Episode 26 (the one with Ryu's brief departure from the team and the mechanical sting rays).

My guess is that:

Ken=Lucas
Joe= David
Jun= Rachel
Jinpei= Timmy
Ryu= Quintin
Nambu= Prof. Nicholas
Katse= Commander Tiros (with Hol as the lieutenant)

Oh, what could've been! Big Grin

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Dirk Daring on 09-10-2012 at 16:10.
No new posts 09-10-2012 15:46
k2p2 k2p2 is a Female
Babbling Loonie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-12-2011

spacer

Wow, thanks for all this research..It seems pretty amazing to me that a series from the early seventies was still generating interest as late as the mid nineties....

Just goes to show you the staying power of a good story.

No new posts 09-10-2012 16:20 k2p2 is offline Send an Email to k2p2 Search for Posts by k2p2 Add k2p2 to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

fascinating... oh if only something could have come of it, and brought our favorite show to a new generation!

I must agree about the voices though, but could have got used to them.

No new posts 09-10-2012 16:25 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Dirk Daring

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by k2p2
Wow, thanks for all this research..It seems pretty amazing to me that a series from the early seventies was still generating interest as late as the mid nineties....

Just goes to show you the staying power of a good story.

The media360group rep got confused with that "1990's" bit, as it wasn't until 1995 that us Americans got to see "G-Force" in its entirety (via Cartoon Network). The show had already been produced by Fred Ladd's Sparklin Entertainment in late 1986. Still, that was 14 years after Gatch premiered, and it is indeed impressive that an already-old show was given a second shot.

No new posts 09-10-2012 16:43
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Dirk Daring

My guess is that:

Ken=Lucas
Joe= David
Jun= Rachel
Jinpei= Timmy
Ryu= Quintin
Nambu= Prof. Nicholas

I haven't seen the video yet, but these names seem a lot better then the ones they were actually given in GoS. Though, I'm not positive about Quintin.

No new posts 09-10-2012 20:21 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Don Spalding - Lucas
Doug Paul - Quintin, Commander Tiros, Narrator
John Ferguson - David, Commander Zol, Timmy
Barry Stoltze - Jason, Professor Nicholas, Newsman
Faith Salie - Rachel

My guess is that:

Ken=Lucas
Joe= David
Jun= Rachel
Jinpei= Timmy
Ryu= Quintin
Nambu= Prof. Nicholas

Hmmm, that does seem to make sense but my thought is that with 5 vocal actors each one might do one of the 5 characters from the team. Which makes me wonder if one of the team may have been called Jason. Instead of John Ferguson voicing both the "Joe" character and the "Jinpei" one.

No new posts 09-10-2012 21:37 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Dirk Daring

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Keep in mind that Ep. 26 prominently featured Ryu's younger brother, which may have been "David" or "Timmy".

No new posts 09-10-2012 22:04
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Good point Dirk ....

No new posts 09-10-2012 22:11 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Dirk Daring

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Some more info:

"the Turner people were absolutely great; totally pro all the way. They worked so hard with us to try to make it happen. Everyone was on board with the creative. The issue really boiled down to the cost of the technology/production processes required to execute the creative. In those days, rooms full of very expensive gear were needed to do what can now be done on a PC. Nevertheless, we will always be grateful for the opportunity. It was our first TV pilot and it opened doors to other opportunities."

Sounds like Turner Program Services was looking for a company who'd be able to produce "G-Force" for the cheapest price tag. This coincides with the anecdotes I'd read from Dean Andre, who mentioned that the production was both low-budgeted and tightly scheduled (85 episodes dubbed over 3 months!). media360group would've definitely provided a better soundtrack, but Fred Ladd's dubbing expertise resulted in better voices and dialogue.

No new posts 13-10-2012 20:28
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

Eek! on the men's voices. G-3 sounded okay.

No new posts 15-12-2012 15:32 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
TheSolarSailor TheSolarSailor is a Male

I am a Galactor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-05-2011

spacer

quote:

My guess is that:

Ken=Lucas
Joe= David
Jun= Rachel
Jinpei= Timmy
Ryu= Quintin
Nambu= Prof. Nicholas

Wow, those names. Wow, those voices. Professor Nicholas seems really weird, but I could get used to that. The two that seem extremely off are Lucas (Ken) and Timmy (Jinpei). Lucas just needs a lisp to put it all in perspective as to why he never wants to date Rachel Wink3, and Timmy sounds like a alien adult trapped in a kids body. Overall, though, this effort probably would have been much better than the G-Force version and it's gratingly bad music.

No new posts 24-09-2013 07:52 TheSolarSailor is offline Send an Email to TheSolarSailor Search for Posts by TheSolarSailor Add TheSolarSailor to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: