Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Anime & Cartoons » My Little Pony is officially 20% cooler!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page My Little Pony is officially 20% cooler!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Cain Highwind Cain Highwind is a Male
Exalted Member

I am a Swallow.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 13-11-2008

spacer
My Little Pony is officially 20% cooler! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

You know how Youtube (or some similar site) will have that viral video that catches on and everyone talks about it? It becomes a meme that's parodied everywhere.

The new My Little Pony cartoon series did that. It's actually done by a lot of former CN people, and it's headed by Lauren Faust, the wife of Craig McCracken (the two of them creating Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends).

I was rather perplexed, but my sister and I (she being a HUGE MLP fan back in the day) we were both kinda intrigued and gave it a watch and we find the series hard to put down. A girly series about ponies that's FUN to watch for all ages and genders? Who would've thought?

I'd check the page on Know Your Meme for more info about it
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/my-little-...ndship-is-magic

It's sparked a craze on the internet, exploding with a fanbase. Mostly young men, calling themselves "Bronies". We're not talking about a little fanart and fanfics there. We're talking fan-made characters (born from Animation errors) that have been made into the show (Derpy Hooves), some AWESOME Eurobeat music by a fan calling himself "Eurobeat Brony", Fan Made Shoes, DJ-P0N3

And well, I just figured I'd pass this on. I know there a lot of ladies and Moms on here, not sure if MLP would be considered a hated thing or not. If it is, I implore you to give it a chance if you can, you MIGHT be surprised ^_~.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Cain Highwind on 05-03-2011 at 07:30.
No new posts 05-03-2011 07:27 Cain Highwind is offline Send an Email to Cain Highwind Search for Posts by Cain Highwind Add Cain Highwind to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Cain Sakazaki YIM Screenname: mog1138 MSN Screenname: mog1138@yahoo.com
Reboekah
Master Boardie

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

There is also an Italian fan artist (of some skill!) with an entire section devoted to MLP...

Look here for Marco Alberio. And if you like Saint Selya - he has a fantastic section!

No new posts 05-03-2011 17:58 Reboekah is offline Send an Email to Reboekah Homepage of Reboekah Search for Posts by Reboekah Add Reboekah to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Thanks for sharing those links, Cain and Boeke! I remember not being such a fan of the MLP series when I was a kid, even if I really liked their merchandise! My five-year-old daughter has just the same impression! She doesn't like to see their cartoons much, but she's always asking me to buy her MLP toys! I think it's the long, differently coloured, soft hair, and the thought of brushing it over and over again, that mostly appeals to her ... well, it did appeal to me when I was of her same age!

No new posts 06-03-2011 07:07 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

MLP came a little after my time...but I thought it was cute! If I had been younger, I would've been all over it!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 06-03-2011 10:22 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

MLP was something I was never into... then again, I'm not really an animal person, so all of the animal toys were NMS. Now Barbies were another story.... see, even as a little kid, I was putting the blonde girl with 'Ken'. Big Grin

No new posts 06-03-2011 16:16 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Exalted Member

I am a Swallow.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Reboekah
There is also an Italian fan artist (of some skill!) with an entire section devoted to MLP...

Look here for Marco Alberio. And if you like Saint Selya - he has a fantastic section!

I find it weird to look at original style now. There's just something so aesthetically pleasing about the artstyle in Friendship Is Magic that makes it worth watching *shrug*

No new posts 06-03-2011 18:22 Cain Highwind is offline Send an Email to Cain Highwind Search for Posts by Cain Highwind Add Cain Highwind to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Cain Sakazaki YIM Screenname: mog1138 MSN Screenname: mog1138@yahoo.com
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

I only dimly recall the original MLP cartoon and toys -I think I was too old for it when in came out in the 80s, and I already had a bunch of Breyer model horses so I think I would have been put off by the cutesy look of those ponies.

But you got me curious to take a look on youtube at the new version -which I had not been aware existed until now- and the old version.

I see what you mean! The new version definitely has a superior look and -from what I can tell- storyline.

Old

New

One thing though, in the new version it seems that every pony in "Equestria" is female?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 06-03-2011 at 20:21.
No new posts 06-03-2011 20:20 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Mad Katharine Mad Katharine is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-04-2010

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
One thing though, in the new version it seems that every pony in "Equestria" is female?

Maybe CN should get this gal on staff for the show...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Mad Katharine on 06-03-2011 at 23:01.
No new posts 06-03-2011 23:01 Mad Katharine is offline Send an Email to Mad Katharine Search for Posts by Mad Katharine Add Mad Katharine to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Oh, her gallery was fun to look at!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 06-03-2011 23:16 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
PalyNerd PalyNerd is a Female

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-07-2010

spacer

I loved MLPs as a kid. I never saw the cartoon as by then I had grown out of them. When they re released them I couldnt resist buying a couple!

Can someone please explain to me why people hate them so much? I recently saw an article someone wrote about people who collect MLPs and I thought it was one of the cruelest, nastiest articles I had ever seen. Then there were a heap of comments by people saying how funny it was.

I cant really see the difference between adults collecting MLPs and people who collect star wars figurines, or teddy bears so I am guessing I must be missing something.

No new posts 07-03-2011 06:08 PalyNerd is offline Send an Email to PalyNerd Search for Posts by PalyNerd Add PalyNerd to your Buddy List
Exalted Member

I am a Swallow.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by PalyNerd
I loved MLPs as a kid. I never saw the cartoon as by then I had grown out of them. When they re released them I couldnt resist buying a couple!

Can someone please explain to me why people hate them so much? I recently saw an article someone wrote about people who collect MLPs and I thought it was one of the cruelest, nastiest articles I had ever seen. Then there were a heap of comments by people saying how funny it was.

I cant really see the difference between adults collecting MLPs and people who collect star wars figurines, or teddy bears so I am guessing I must be missing something.

I think people have always hated it for being a little too girly-girlish. Having a sister into it, I never had any bad feelings towards MLP fans. I always thought it was kinda cool how fans would make custom figurines of popular characters like the Gallery link Reboekah posted.

quote:

Nope, just a vast majority are female, there are still Male ponies. The two most notable and popular are Big Macintosh (Eyyyyup) and fan favorite background pony, Dr. Whooves. It's definitely a female dominant society though.

Oh and here's something I thought was interesting it's a little chart showing the "evolution" of the main cast, from the original counterparts, to Lauren Faust's original designs to their final versions.

http://i.imgur.com/TdsgH.jpg

No new posts 07-03-2011 11:05 Cain Highwind is offline Send an Email to Cain Highwind Search for Posts by Cain Highwind Add Cain Highwind to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Cain Sakazaki YIM Screenname: mog1138 MSN Screenname: mog1138@yahoo.com
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Katharine

Maybe CN should get this gal on staff for the show...

Wow, amazing how those ponies look so much like the characters they're meant to be -I think the Starbuck pony is my favourite!

quote:
Originally posted by Cain Highwind
It's definitely a female dominant society though.

Well I wouldn't have a problem with that, so long as there were some male ponies around!

No new posts 09-03-2011 05:03 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: