Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Comics & Manga » James, can you help me?
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page James, can you help me?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
James, can you help me? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Pretty please? Big Grin

I found this for sale online:

It claims to be the full comic series published by Western Publishing in 1978-1980. Is that the same as this series?

Thanks!

No new posts 22-09-2008 01:47 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

"Bouncing beanstalks! What can G-Force do?" Hee!

TJ, is this second panel the infamous Gold Key comic series?

http://www.misterkitty.org/extras/stupid...idcomics33.html

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 22-09-2008 at 01:59.
No new posts 22-09-2008 01:59 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

No, those are not the same series. The page you have there is from the TV Comics run published in the U.K. in the early 1980s. The Gold Key comics were all drawn by Winslow Mortimer, and are, quite frankly, not as nice looking as the TV Comics stories (As you can see in the panels on the link that lborgia88 supplied).

The book you found does have reprints of the 10 issues of the Gold Key comics, reprinted in black and white from scans of the original comics, but nothing from the U.K. comic run.

James

No new posts 22-09-2008 02:26 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks for the information, James! Smooch2 Such a fast response!

So, now I have to decide if the price is worth it....

If it's black and white, I'm leaning towards a no. Wink

No new posts 22-09-2008 02:41 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

Yes, it is in black and white. Dynamic Forces released the B&W version with the intention of publishing a color version a little later ("Because YOU demanded it!"). They figured that the people who had bought the black and white one would happily spend even more money buying the same book again, only this time in color, allowing them to get twice the money for the same product. Pretty sleazy, if you ask me, but Dynamic Forces is a pretty sleazy company, so I can't be too surprised. Anyway, the bottom fell out on the BotP Boom, and the color version was never published.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 22-09-2008 at 03:44.
No new posts 22-09-2008 02:49 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

That does sound pretty sleazy... but then, what can you expect from the publisher of a series of comics where Mark describes Zark as 'infallible'? ROFL 2

No new posts 22-09-2008 03:08 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
That does sound pretty sleazy... but then, what can you expect from the publisher of a series of comics where Mark describes Zark as 'infallible'?

Well, to be fair, Dynamic Farces had no control over the content of those comics. That was done by Western Publishing when the comics were originally published in 1979 and 1980.

Actually, in BotP itself, Zark is often described with similar high praise as well. So, they were being fairly faithful to the source material in that respect.

James

No new posts 22-09-2008 03:43 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Of course, you are correct, James, I was just being tongue in cheek. 	Frog

That's interesting though... so someone else now has the rights to those comics?

No new posts 22-09-2008 13:51 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Condorfan Condorfan is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-09-2006

spacer

TJ I have that book and I'll lend it to you if you like if you don't mind waiting for a bit. I have surgery on Wednesday and won't be able to drive for 2 weeks but perhaps I can see if I can get it to you sooner.

No new posts 22-09-2008 15:10 Condorfan is offline Send an Email to Condorfan Search for Posts by Condorfan Add Condorfan to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Fallonminx
Barrdwing Barrdwing is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2008

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
That's interesting though... so someone else now has the rights to those comics?

Western Publishing was bought out in the 1980s (And has since changed hands several times), and the rights for their licensed products reverted to the people who held those licenses. So, to do a licensed reprint of those comics, Sandy Frank was the only company Dynamic Forces had to deal with, which wasn't a problem because they already had a agreement with them for other BotP merchandise.

James

No new posts 22-09-2008 16:54 Barrdwing is offline Send an Email to Barrdwing Search for Posts by Barrdwing Add Barrdwing to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Condorfan
TJ I have that book and I'll lend it to you if you like if you don't mind waiting for a bit. I have surgery on Wednesday and won't be able to drive for 2 weeks but perhaps I can see if I can get it to you sooner.

No rush, Condorfan! I know I've been slow getting those Gatch II/F DVDs to you. But check your PMs... Wink

No new posts 22-09-2008 19:39 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Barrdwing
Western Publishing was bought out in the 1980s (And has since changed hands several times), and the rights for their licensed products reverted to the people who held those licenses. So, to do a licensed reprint of those comics, Sandy Frank was the only company Dynamic Forces had to deal with, which wasn't a problem because they already had a agreement with them for other BotP merchandise

It's amazing how much these rights get passed around. I feel like I need a family tree to see who all owns the rights to what, especially given the number of sequels and spinoff series!

No new posts 22-09-2008 19:42 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Condorfan Condorfan is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-09-2006

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
quote:
Originally posted by Condorfan

No rush, Condorfan! I know I've been slow getting those Gatch II/F DVDs to you. But check your PMs... Wink

You have not been slow! I'm very grateful you will be able to do the DVD's. I will check my PM's when I'm able.

No new posts 23-09-2008 05:50 Condorfan is offline Send an Email to Condorfan Search for Posts by Condorfan Add Condorfan to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Fallonminx
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: